Who do I report to?

By Lori Goemans | June 13, 2018
Lawton Who Report

A common question job applicants ask is, “Who will I report to if I work in the foundry?”

The answer is, you will report to a working supervisor. During the past 12 months, the foundry has been restructured so that each supervisor has no more than five to seven direct reports compared to the previous 15 to 20 employees. In order to do this, positions titled “working supervisor” were created in each area of our production operations.

Under the direction of one of three foundry coaches, the working supervisors spend 60% to 70% of their day working in production next to their staff. They spend the remaining 30% to 40% working on reporting, process improvements, one-on-one meetings with their direct reports and coaching.

At C.A. Lawton, supervisors are expected to have a 30-minute one-on-one meeting with each of their direct employees, every week. It’s an opportunity for employees to ask questions, discuss progress and talk about development. It’s also an opportunity for supervisors to learn about their employees. It’s a big investment of time for working supervisors, but it pays off in improved employee morale and productivity.

The working supervisor position has given many dedicated workers an opportunity to move forward in their career here at The C.A. Lawton Co. This position has also given us the opportunity to bring fresh eyes into the organization and attract those who are ready to take the next step in their supervisory career.

The reduction of direct reports has given our leaders the time to get to know the people who work for them as well as opportunities to grow professionally. We want to encourage all C.A. Lawton employees to learn new roles and to always be open-minded to continuing education and training.

Lori Goemans HR & IT Manager
Human Resources & IT Manager

Lori Goemans

Lori is the Human Resources and IT Manager at The C.A. Lawton Co. She began her career at Lawton 21 years ago as an accounting intern, working in several other capacities within that department before moving into IT and HR. Lori has a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from the University of Wisconsin - Green Bay and is SHRM-CP certified.