Giving back: One employee’s mission to help children with cancer
Families of Children with Cancer is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping families whose children have been diagnosed with cancer in Northeast Wisconsin and Upper Peninsula Michigan. FOCWC receives no federal funding and relies solely on donations from private benefactors, corporate sponsors, community organizations, foundations, and fundraisers. All profits go directly to the affected families in Northeast Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula.
Robb Collard is our Accounting Assistant here at The C.A. Lawton Co. He is the Development Specialist for FOCWC and runs the Children’s Connection Program. This program helps connect children with others who have similar interests and diagnoses. It’s important for the kids to have someone to connect with while undergoing treatment.
The Cultural Events Committee worked with Robb to put together a donation of toys and crafts for the child life program at St. Vincent Hospital. All collected gifts were given to children undergoing treatment over the Christmas holiday.
Some of the benefits provided for families are:
- Bravery beads and funding for Pediatric Oncology Clinic Child Life Department
- Limited financial assistance to families when there is a need
- Family pack to a newly diagnosed family which consists of gift cards for a grocery store, department store, and gas cards
- A Helping Hand Handbook – a binder where the family can keep all their important dates and information (lab results, radiation treatment days, doctor appointments, etc.)
- Social events for the entire immediate family
- College scholarships for the childhood cancer survivor/patient along with camp tuitions for a child, sibling, or family member
- Mileage reimbursement for travel due to treatment
- Much more!
For more information please visit: https://www.focwc.org/